624159 Rounded to the Hundredths Place
Rounding Numbers Figurer
Rounding calculator to round numbers up or down to any decimal identify. Choose ones to circular a number to the nearest dollar. Choose hundredths to round an amount to the nearest cent.
Say you wanted to round the number 838.274. Depending on which identify value you’ll round to, the final consequence will vary. Rounding 838.274:
- Rounding to the nearest hundred is 800
- Rounding to the nearest x is 840
- Rounding to the nearest one is 838
- Rounding to the nearest tenth is 838.three
- Rounding to the nearest hundredth is 838.27
Basic Rules of Rounding
When you “round to the nearest _____” regardless of what goes in the bare the steps are nearly e’er the same:
- Identify which place value you are rounding to. The smaller the place value, the more accurate the final event will be.
- Look to the next smallest identify value, the digit to the correct of the identify value you’re rounding to. For example, if you lot want to round to the nearest 10 you’d expect at the ones place.
- If the digit in the adjacent smallest place value is less than five (0, 1, two, 3, or 4), yous leave the digit y’all want to round to as-is. Any digits later on that number (including the side by side smallest identify value you simply looked at) become zeros, or drop-off if they’re located after the decimal point. This is chosen rounding downwards.
- If the adjacent smallest place value is greater than or equal to five (5, 6, vii, eight, or 9), you increase the value of the digit you lot’re rounding to by one (+1). Just like before, whatever remaining digits earlier the decimal point become zeros, and any that are later the decimal bespeak are dropped. This is chosen rounding upwardly.
Circular to the Nearest Hundred: 3250
- Identify the hundreds digit: the 2 in 3250
- Identify the next smallest place value: the five in 3250
- Is that digit greater than or equal to five? Yes, so circular upward.
- Increase the hundreds digit by 1, so two becomes three. Every digit after becomes a zilch.
3250 rounded to the nearest hundred is 3300
Round to the Nearest Ten: 323.5
- Identify the tens digit: the 2 in 323.five
- Identify the adjacent smallest place value: the 3 in 323.5
- Is that digit greater than or equal to five? No, then circular downwards.
- The tens digit stays the same at 2. Every digit after becomes a nil. Digits after the decimal betoken are dropped.
323.five rounded to the nearest ten is 320
Round to the Nearest X: 499
- Identify the tens digit: the offset 9 in 499
- Identify the adjacent smallest place value: the second 9 in 499
- Is that digit greater than or equal to five? Yeah, so round up.
- The tens digit increases by 1. Since 9+1=10, you need to carry the 1 and add together information technology to the digit in the hundreds place. Each digit subsequently becomes a goose egg.
499 rounded to the nearest ten is 500
Round to the Nearest Tenth: 0.74
- Identify the tenths digit: 7 in 0.74
- Identify the next smallest place value: the four in 0.74
- Is that digit greater than or equal to five? No, so round down.
- The tenths digit stays the same at seven. Since the remaining digits are afterward the decimal point you lot just drop them.
0.74 rounded to the nearest tenth is 0.7
Circular to the Nearest Hundredth: 3.141
- Identify the hundredths digit: the iv in 3.141
- Identify the next smallest place value: the second 1 in iii.141
- Is that digit greater than or equal to v? No, so round downwards.
- The hundredths digit stays the aforementioned at 4. Drib the digits to the right of 4.
3.141 rounded to the nearest hundredth is 3.14
To acquire how to round a number to the nearest multiple see our Circular to Nearest Multiple Figurer. Round to multiples of whole numbers or decimals such every bit tenths, hundredths, thousandths, etc.
About.com on How to Circular Numbers
MathPlayground: How exercise y’all Round?
Math.com has several lessons on estimating and rounding.
624159 Rounded to the Hundredths Place