Why Must Fire Extinguishers Be Routinely Maintained
at least 3,000 fires occur
in workplaces, causing more than than $112 1000000 in belongings damage alone—that’s not counting the cost of business organisation interruption. Therefore, creating a culture of safety within your system is critically important. Managers and employees may take those cherry canisters hanging on the wall for granted, and might not even realize where the nearest ones are located. Notwithstanding, the concluding place anyone wants to observe that the fire extinguisher is malfunctioning is face-to-face with a raging fire. Instead, it’s ameliorate to be prepared for an emergency. Hither are the basics on how to keep your extinguishers in practiced working order, leading to safer employees and less risk for your business.
Fire Safety: Required past Law
Co-ordinate to the Occupational Rubber and Wellness Assistants (
), employers must follow these steps:
- Inspect and test all portable burn extinguishers. A monthly visual inspection is required. Details are below.
- Perform and record annual maintenance checks. The records need to be maintained for a year.
- Empty and maintain dry chemical extinguishers every 6 years. A hydrostatic test must as well be performed every 6 years. There is an exception to this: dry chemical extinguishers with not-refillable disposable containers.
- Provide alternate and equivalent protection when portable fire extinguishers are removed from the business for maintenance and recharging.
The Monthly Check-Up
Remembering to conduct out monthly inspections tin can be tricky, so we propose setting a date on your calendar each calendar month, or only hiring a company that takes care of it on your behalf. In fact, outsourcing routine maintenance can be very cost-effective in addition to being convenient. Should you opt for this route, yous can get a sense of average pricing on websites like
to ensure you’re paying a fair price. To carry out a full check, you lot must:
- Walk up to the extinguisher as if you needed to apply it at that moment. Make sure each extinguisher is visible, unobstructed, and in the right location. The number of extinguishers you have in your workplace will depend on the size of your space, simply extinguishers should be placed roughly every 75 feet.
- Look for the operating instructions on the nameplate. They must be legible and facing outward. The nameplate contains all the information on how to use a particular type of extinguisher, and the label instructions may vary according to type and size.
- Confirm that the tamper seal is not broken and the locking pin is intact. The seal is proof that no tampering or use has occurred since the last inspection. It also keeps the safety pin from getting loose or falling out. Without that pin, adventitious discharging of the extinguisher might occur. The seal will also display the last major inspection appointment.
- Expect for obvious concrete damage, corrosion, leaks, or nozzle clogs. Make certain the hose is intact.
- Check that the pressure guess or indicator is in operating range and make sure the extinguisher is still full (past lifting it).
- Read the tag carefully. The tag is the paper record of inspections, similar to the signs yous see in elevators. A licensed fire extinguisher maintenance contractor should have inspected the device within the last 12 months.
- Initial and date the back of the tag in one case y’all accept carried out all of the above checks. Write legibly.
Two different types of extinguishers exist. A cartridge-operated extinguisher has an indicator rather than a pressure gauge. You volition want to make sure that the indicator is non up and charged. Information technology should exist depressed. A CO2(carbon dioxide) extinguisher is self-expelling and volition pressurize itself. Information technology doesn’t have a gauge , so you lot just need to make sure that information technology is total. Weigh the extinguisher and make certain the weight is the same as what was recorded on the tag.
The Annual Inspection
A professional burn down protection company should come to your place of concern in one case a year—like clockwork—with the proper grooming and tools to ensure compliance. They will spot and fix any potentially dangerous situations, including broken fire alarms, and finally place a appointment-stamped inspection tag (good for another year) on the unit. If an extinguisher fails inspection, it volition need to exist repaired or replaced. Curious about what a professional inspector does during this inspection? Lancashire Fire Protection has a great
to show you the nuts.
Pass or Neglect at Half-dozen Years
The in-depth inspection every 6 years is a hydrostatic test, during which an inspector empties the rechargeable extinguishers, and places themunder water pressures beyond their ratings. If a cylinder fails the examination, they destroy it. If it passes, they reassemble, recharge, and render it to service. Once washed, a metallic or like label will be attached to each extinguisher, indicating the month and year of maintenance and who performed the service. Former labels are removed, and new ones are affixed. Fire extinguishers generally terminal betwixt 5 and 15 years, and many come up with a warranty upon buy. As with any business organisation investment, be sure to read reviews to discover reputable professionals.
Ignite Your Team’s Interest in Fire Safety
Burn down drills usually garner centre rolls and sighs in about workplaces, only preparing employees is essential to mitigating adventure. Similar any grooming, make your fire drills and education sessions fun and interactive. Teach your squad members
how to utilise a burn down extinguisher
and host lunch-and-learns or java break trainings that include a
or 2. Want to make your training fifty-fifty more engaging? Create your own themed effect and challenge the squad to a chili-making contest, or invite your local fire department to stop by and take office in the day of learning. Quiz testify formats with prizes, meme-cosmos contests, and a host of
other fun techniques
tin be used to remove the ho-hum factor from safe grooming and engage every single employee. You never know who the next company hero might be!
Make Your Next Inspection a Cakewalk
Nosotros at SafetyTek are committed not only to keeping you safe but besides to making your work life more manageable. That’s why we’ve created this free checklist for fire extinguisher inspections, which you can download by completing the form below.
Why Must Fire Extinguishers Be Routinely Maintained