Empower Employees Through Food Safety Grooming
Food workers who become to work ill are a major cause of foodborne disease outbreaks. Use this training to teach your employees the importance of reporting symptoms and staying home from piece of work when they are sick.
Yous may choose to read these learning objectives with your employees every bit a role of the stand-upwards grooming.
After this preparation, employees will be able to:
- Place symptoms of illness that must be reported to a manager
- Recognize illnesses that must be reported to a director
You may cull to read these facts with your employees as a part of the stand up-upward training.
- Keeping sick employees away from nutrient is critical to preventing the spread of foodborne affliction along the fecal-oral road.
- Food workers should report these symptoms to their manager:
- Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes)
- Sore pharynx with a fever
- An infected wound
- An employee is not allowed to work if they have one of the following symptoms:
- Vomiting or diarrhea inside the last 24 hours
- Jaundice (yellowing of the optics)
- Food workers who accept vomited or had diarrhea inside the last 24 hours are likely to spread illness through food they prepare. You should inquire them to stay habitation.
- Jaundice could exist a sign of a Hepatitis A infection. If a nutrient worker has jaundice, report the symptom to the local regulatory authority—usually your health department. Y’all should likewise ask the employee to stay abode.
- If an employee reports a sore throat with a fever, they may come to work, but they should non piece of work with nutrient or food-contact surfaces.
- If a food worker has an infected wound, the wound must be appropriately bandaged and covered before the employee tin handle nutrient.
- Food workers must besides report to their manager if they have a Norovirus, Hepatitis A,
infection. Managers must report these diagnoses to the local regulatory authority. The food worker should stay home until the regulatory authority gives them permission to work once more.
- Food workers who can’t end coughing or sneezing should not work with food or food-contact surfaces.
- Highly susceptible populations have a high risk of contracting foodborne illness. These populations include young children, the elderly, pregnant women, and individuals with illnesses that have weakened their immune systems. Establishments that serve highly susceptible populations (like hospitals and day care centers) need stricter rules for handling employee illness.
Choose the activities that volition exist most benign for your employees. Modify them equally needed to fit the training needs of your establishment.
The “Why” of Reporting Illness
Why is it important to report when you are sick? Practice you remember which illnesses and symptoms you need to report before your shift begins?
When to Stay Home video
Hang up the Feeling Sick? poster nearly the time clock or door to remind your employees which symptoms to report before their shift begins.
For which symptoms would y’all need to stay home? For which symptoms would you be assigned to work abroad from food?
Do I Need to Stay Home? video scenarios
If y’all are watching the video scenarios, pause the video before the answers are revealed so that your employees tin can guess what needs to happen.
If y’all prefer, y’all can nowadays your own food worker illness scenarios for employees to clarify.
Display the Food Worker Affliction Flowchart poster as a reminder for when a sick employee would demand to stay home. If your establishment serves a highly susceptible population, stricter policies may utilise.
What Is Our Policy?
Review the employee health policy at your establishment.
Discuss: Who should you contact when you are sick? How practice we organize roofing for a ill coworker’south shift?
Ask employees to share their questions and concerns well-nigh the policy. Emphasize the importance of reporting illness honestly and staying home to prevent foodborne affliction outbreaks.
If you suspect that an employee has come to work sick, approach them with a direct only sympathetic attitude. Express business organisation for their well-beingness and ask about their symptoms. If necessary, inquire the employee to get home or reassign them to duties away from exposed nutrient and food-contact surfaces. For example, you could assign an employee with a sore pharynx and a fever to make clean floors and windows or to operate the cash annals.
Be careful not to punish employees for reporting when they are sick. It’southward important that you send them home or restrict their work duties when appropriate, just do not express frustration with them. If employees feel that reporting illness will threaten their chore security, they may not be honest with y’all near their symptoms.
Make sure your shift managers and supervisors tin reply questions that other employees may take about reporting symptoms and illnesses. Encourage employees to ask questions when they need assist instead of guessing at the correct answer.
As needed, review this grooming with your employees.
When to Stay Home video
describes what illnesses and symptoms must be reported to a food manager to keep customers safe. View the Castilian version of this video:
Cuando Quedarse en Casa.
Practise I Need to Stay Home? video scenarios nowadays 4 hypothetical situations when food workers are feeling sick and aren’t certain if they should come to work. Interruption the video to let your employees decide whether to tell the food workers “yes” or “no” and and so resume the video to meet what happens. View the Spanish version of this video:
¿Debo Quedarme en Casa?
Print out the free
Feeling Sick? poster
and postal service it in the break area to remind food workers which symptoms they should report.
Food Worker Illness Flowchart affiche
is a handy resource to aid managers remember when they should exclude or restrict a sick food worker. Answer the questions on the chart to go far at the course of action recommended in the FDA Food Code. Annotation this resource does
cover when y’all should exclude or restrict employees if your establishment primarily serves a highly susceptible population.
Did you use this stand up-up training in your establishment? We’d love to become your feedback! Take a infinitesimal to do our feedback survey.
— Alyssa Erickson
Who Would Be Considered a Highly Susceptible Population